Occasionally men need reminders and husbands need them even more so. I’m lucky, I have a husband that listens when he’s told that saying something ‘like that’ is probably not a good idea. In an effort to maintain peace and harmony, we occasionally make lists for each other so we know what’s going on, what needs to be done and what would be a really bad idea to say.
So I thought I’d share a list that we’ve compiled over the last few years.
Things You Don’t Say To Your Wife
1. Honey, the dress is beautiful. You look like a big bowl of Chunky Monkey in that.
2. What did you want me to bring home? (After he’s home)
3. No, I’d rather eat out than have you cook. It’s safer.
4. Well that was stupid.
5. Honey you don’t have to work, you just have to take care of the kids.
6. Go ahead and go without me, I have more important things to do.
7. Yes, she does look good in that.
8. Are you retaining water?
9. Is it that time of the month?
10. Yes dear, if you die, I promise I will get married again.
Sound Like a No Win Situation?
That’s the beauty of being married; sometimes it’s just one giant catch 22. Wives want honesty from their husbands, but it should always be tempered by compassion and common sense. Yes, it is a fine line to cross, but we wives have our own line to dance on as well. There are things that are better not said to our husbands, such as any comparison to another man. But I think that goes both ways. After all, we don’t want to be compared to other people and found wanting.
What about you? What things would you never say to your wife? Or to your husband for that matter?