Scrapbooking, just like any craft or hobby can get expensive, especially with all the fun supplies and great embellishments available. But there are some ways that you can cut costs and still get that great looking layout you desire! Here are five fabulous tips to save on supplies.
- Take a trip to the hardware store and pick up some washers. These little embellishments cost mere pennies each and can be personalized at home. Just use letter stamps or mini-stamps and permanent dye ink. I recommend StazOn, which is available at most stamp stores and some craft centers. Be sure and use your embossing gun and heat after stamping. This will set your project.
- While at the hardware store, also pick up some window screen. This can be used the same way that wire mesh is used in your layouts. You can even paint whatever color coordinates with your supplies. You should also keep your eye out for drywall tape, which can be painted to match your layouts, hinges and all types of other embellishments. Usually at the hardware store you can purchase them singly rather than in packages.
- Next you should visit your local craft store and look for yarns, fibers, ribbons, slide mounts, and all sorts of other great items that can be used in your scrapbooks. Keep your eyes out for clearance items! You can get plain colored eyelets and brads here, and then use your stamp pads to alter the colors to match your layouts. Often you can even find actual scrapbook supplies and stamping supplies available at these craft stores.
- One of my favorite places to shop for budget friendly supplies is the office supply store. You can find all sorts of great items to use, including some items which cost more at the scrapbook store. Check out the great prices on colored staples, shipping tags, metal rimmed tags, brads, colored paper clips, binder rings, and even stickers. Also be sure and watch for other fun products like post it notes which are fun to journal on. Index cards are great for jotting down ideas or even doing your journaling on. There are so many fun supplies available at an office supply store.
- Visit your local dollar store. I cannot even list all the wonderful items available at a dollar store! I have found so many wonderful little items to use in my albums. Some dollar stores even have a scrapbook section. In addition to finding great stuff at the dollar store, be sure and check out the dollar spots at places such as Target and Wal-mart. They also have items that work well in a layout.
I hope you at least save a few dollars using these tips!!