Cleaning Stainless Steel Pots and Pans

As if you needed another reason to invest in Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, I just found out that they do wonders for stainless steel cookware. I wouldn’t dream of using abrasive material to clean my pots and pans. Brillo pads, steel wool, and heavy-duty Scotch Brite sponges are to be avoided when cleaning stainless steel cookware, which is why I always used a soft rag and some soapy water to get rid of burnt and caked on food.

However, last night I couldn’t find a clean cloth, so I picked up a Magic Eraser instead. I saturated the Eraser, added a couple squirts of detergent in a stainless steel pot caked with chunks of dried pasta and started scrubbing. In no time at all, bits of red sauce and noodles lifted off the bottom of the pot and rinsed clean away.

I suppose I shouldn’t be shocked that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser penetrated the food particles and helped to clean my stainless steel cookware. After all, the back of the box says it is safe to use the Eraser on stainless steel appliances.

The cleaning job I tackled with the Eraser was that bad. However, I could see employing the Magic Eraser on tough stainless steel stains, though you might consider using a cleaning product that is a bit stronger than standard dish soap. Bar Keeper’s Friend Cookware Cleaner, Chantal Stainless Steel and Aluminum Cookware Cleaner, and T-Fal Stainless Cookware Cleaner are excellent options if you are looking to deep clean stainless steel items-—with or without a Magic Eraser.

Given how well the Magic Eraser performed on my pot filled with caked-on food, I would guess that it would do equally as well removing white streaks from stainless steel cookware. Over time, the surfaces of stainless steel cookware can get covered white streaks. The unsightly marks are calcium that deposits on the metal during the cooking process. In most cases you can eliminate them by soaking the pot or pan in vinegar and washing as usual. However, I would bet the marks would vanish quicker if you used the Magic Eraser on them after soaking the pot for a while in vinegar or soapy water.

This entry was posted in Product Reviews by Michele Cheplic. Bookmark the permalink.
Michele Cheplic

About Michele Cheplic

Michele Cheplic was born and raised in Hilo, Hawaii, but now lives in Wisconsin. Michele graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a degree in Journalism. She spent the next ten years as a television anchor and reporter at various stations throughout the country (from the CBS affiliate in Honolulu to the NBC affiliate in Green Bay). She has won numerous honors including an Emmy Award and multiple Edward R. Murrow awards honoring outstanding achievements in broadcast journalism. In addition, she has received awards from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association for her reports on air travel and the Wisconsin Education Association Council for her stories on education. Michele has since left television to concentrate on being a mom and freelance writer.

Leave a Reply