Finger Food

left

Would you rather have your child give the finger or get it?

Neither is ideal, especially if said finger is sandwiched between thinly sliced roast beef and a toasted sesame seed bun.

U to the G-H!

Parents are programmed with a natural instinct to protect their offspring, but when you are up against random human fingers popping up in your child’s fast food sandwich, even the most seasoned mom or dad may be at a loss for words.

Just ask Jamie Vail.

The Michigan mom nearly fainted last week when her 14-year-old son found a piece of a human finger in his Arby’s junior roast beef sandwich.

According to reports, Vail initially thought her teen was goofing around, but soon realized the incident was far from a joke.

Vail’s son, Ryan Hart, told news reporters that he tasted “something like rubber” when he bit into his sandwich. When he spit out the offensive bite he noticed it was fleshy.

“I was like, ‘that gots to be a finger,’” Hart said. “I was about to puke… It was just nasty.”

According to the local health department, Hart bit into the back of a finger, including the pad which measured about a quarter-inch thick and an inch long.

“It was unbelievable,” the boy’s mom told a local newspaper. She later described the event as “disgusting” and “worrisome.”

Can you say understatement?

Imagine dining with your child at a restaurant, and then ending up at the emergency room because he nearly ingested part of a human finger.

Gag!

Reports claim that an Arby’s employee cut her finger on a meat slicer at the restaurant prior to Vail and Hart’s visit, but the eatery remained operational.

“Somebody loses a finger, and you keep sending food out the window? I can’t believe that,” Vail told news reporters.

Hospital personnel drew the teen’s blood and prescribed him medication. However, according to Ryan’s mom, there was little they could do to ease her son’s anxiety.

“He’s traumatized and hasn’t been able to sleep very good. He’s really worried lately and he doesn’t want to catch anything,” Vail said.

Fortunately, medical experts say there is only a very small chance the boy could contract a serious illness.

Meanwhile, both mother and son have sworn off eating fast food… forever.

Related Articles:

What are You Feeding Your Baby?

Fast Food Kids’ Meals—How Healthy Are They?

Kids And Juice—Are They A Healthy Mix?

Is There Such A Thing As A Healthy Hamburger?

This entry was posted in Parenting in the News by Michele Cheplic. Bookmark the permalink.
Michele Cheplic

About Michele Cheplic

Michele Cheplic was born and raised in Hilo, Hawaii, but now lives in Wisconsin. Michele graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a degree in Journalism. She spent the next ten years as a television anchor and reporter at various stations throughout the country (from the CBS affiliate in Honolulu to the NBC affiliate in Green Bay). She has won numerous honors including an Emmy Award and multiple Edward R. Murrow awards honoring outstanding achievements in broadcast journalism. In addition, she has received awards from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association for her reports on air travel and the Wisconsin Education Association Council for her stories on education. Michele has since left television to concentrate on being a mom and freelance writer.

Leave a Reply