It is the time of year when the ward planning session takes place. If you are on the ward activities committee you may be scrambling to come up with some ideas for unique and fun ward activities. Here are five ideas that are fun.
1) One easy activity is to have a ward bake-off. Every family brings a dessert to enter into the contest. You judge to see who has the best dessert. This could be held in addition to or in conjunction with a chili cook-off.
2) Another fun activity is to have an Olympic games activity. This could be planned so that families compete together as a group. You can plan relay races, silly games, as well as a scripture chase. You may also want to include a few real events, depending on your ward. You can give out awards in several different silly categories.
3) Another great activity is to plan a ward service activity. This could be a great way to reach out to your community. You could volunteer to do clean up in a local park or paint the local recreation center. You may want to provide babysitting so that young children do not get in the way.
4) Another fun activity is an adult dinner. You can provide a nursery for the children, a movie for the teenagers and let the adults sit back and enjoy an evening interacting with other adults for the night.
5) A ward hike might be a fun activity. You can plan the hike and then a Dutch oven dinner at a local recreation spot. You may want to have stories around the campfire, along with S’mores before you head home for the evening.