My current big scrapbooking project is putting together a first year baby album for my daughter, Hannah. I want to share a layout that I created today for celebrating the New Year. The layout is based on one of the sketches from Becky Higgins’ book Creative Sketches 2. This came together in less than an hour thanks to the simple design.
The materials that I used to create this layout are:
Patterned Paper: Basic Grey
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
“Happy New Year Letters”: Quickutz Studio Font
Brown Distressing Ink
Brown Journaling Pen
Fiskars Circle Cutter
Fiskars Paper Trimmer
Quickutz Hand Tool, Studio Font Dies
1. I started by using the Fiskars circle cutter to cut two 5-inch circles from the patterned paper. Cut one in half. Ink edges. Attach to layout.
2. Then I cut strips of paper from the patterned paper and then mounted it on the pink cardstock and trimmed the edge. Attach to page.
3. Cut letters to spell “Happy New Year” using the Quickutz hand tool and the Studio Classic font. Run letters through the Xyron machine and stick to page.
4. Crop photos and attach on page.
5. Using a ruler and pencil, draw journaling lines. Then I wrote journaling in pencil and then traced the letters with the brown pen. I recommend always journaling in pencil first so that you can check for spacing, spelling and neatness before making it permanent on your page.
I have been using the same paper line on the entire album so that it has a coordinated and unified look. The paper I am using is from the Basic Grey line Sweet Pea Alyssa. They are all patterned papers printed on nice, thick paper. Not that flimsy patterned paper that some paper companies make. I have also purchased some Bazzill Basics Paper coordinating solid colored cardstock. I am keeping embellishments to a minimum so that I can finish the album in a reasonable amount of time.