Help your loved ones remember special times with custom made memory books. This time we’ll concentrate on Mom, and help her keep an annual record of her special day.
*It looks like a lot of steps, but they are simple.
- Small photo album
- Fabric (two prints or colors)
- Quilt batting
- 2 Buttons
- Thin Ribbon
- Craft glue
- Rickrack or trim (optional)
1. Pick up a small photo album at a discount store, or make your own.
2. Apply quilt batting to the front and back covers with craft, including the insides of the covers.
3. Cover the quilt batting with one of the fabrics.
4. For the front of the album, cut the second style of fabric to fit inside the edges of the cover. Allow an inch or two of space between the edge of the fabric and the edge of the album cover.
5. Cut a circle or a heart in the center of the second piece of fabric. This will act as a photo frame.
6. Attach the fabric to the front cover, gluing down three sides.
7. Place a picture of Mom inside then glue the top edge down.
8. Glue a button to the edge of the album, near the opening. Center it.
9. Do the same on the back cover.
10. When dry, tie a piece of thin ribbon to each button. Knot it.
11. Pull the ribbons together to tie the album closed.
12. Add any photos from past Mother’s Days to the album. If you don’t have Mother’s Day pictures, add pictures of Mom with her kids.
13. Continue adding a photographs from Mom’s special day each year.
You can adapt this project to make memory books for other holidays, special events, anniversaries, and birthdays. Memory books make thoughtful gifts, and the recipient will enjoy the chance to walk down Memory Lane, comparing each year’s photo and remembering what occurred on that day.
To make your own album instead of purchasing one, follow the directions for the school keepsake book or personal storybook, and simply add photo pages. You should be able to find them in most stationary and office supply stores.