There are times in each of our lives, when we must make choices regarding our future. There are times when we are seeking guidance to help us solve a problem that we are facing. We may be looking for a reason for our suffering or simply seeking comfort as we work through our trials. We are able to seek personal revelation through prayer with our Heavenly Father. It is important to realize that prayer is a two way communication, and that as we receive answers, we need to be prepared to act on those answers. We also need to give thanks for the answers that we receive. Here are some steps that we should do to prepare ourselves for the answers to our prayers.
1) It is important to prepare ourselves to pray. This can be accomplished through scripture study and meditation. If we are looking for a solution for a specific problem, then we should consider possible ways to solve it, before we take it before the Lord. I remember the story of the brother of Jared, who prepared the stones so that there could be light in the ships. He did all he could, and asked the Lord if He could help him with the rest.
2) Depending on the seriousness of the problem you may consider fasting before you pray. Fasting helps your spirit to be more in tune with the Lord. You may also consider visiting the temple if you have one nearby. These are both ways to help clear everyday concerns from your mind, and it enables you to focus more clearly.
3) Find a quiet place to pray and take your time to pray. It is important to pray in a place where you will not be interrupted so that you can focus on your feelings and promptings. Similarly, you want to be able to pray as long as you need to when earnestly seeking for an answer.
4) You should allow yourself time to receive the answer. The answer may come during your prayer, or you may receive it during the next day or two. Sometimes you will only receive the answer a step at a time, as you need it. If you feel that you have received your answer, you can pray for a confirmation of the answer and then more forward confidently.
5) As you seek answers, it is important to act on the answers you receive. If the answer you receive is not the one that you wanted, then you should pray that your desires will change and that you can have peace regarding the matter. It is important to give thanks for the answers and guidance that you receive.