It was always so much fun and I don’t remember any injuries. Things have changed and with all the fireworks that you can buy in any store now, the incidence of injuries rises.
I learned today that sparklers burn at 2,000 degrees and are the number one reason for firework related emergency room visits. As a child, I didn’t know that, as an adult, I’ve experienced it first hand.
When Hailey was little a group of us had our toddlers and sparklers waiting for the fireworks to begin. My friends some toddled over and grabbed the lit end of a sparkler. It was awful. I couldn’t believe how fast it happened, there were probably ten adults and five or six toddlers and still, Jackson got burned pretty badly.
As a single mother I’m always a little paranoid about fireworks. My ex husband used to buy fireworks every year and Hailey and I would sit in lawn chairs while he set them off. Once I got divorced, I still wanted to continue the tradition but was afraid.
Since I’m a little worried about everything, I made sure to take plenty of precautions. I always filled a bucket with water to put the fireworks in after they were spent. Even when they are no longer lighting up they can still burn your feet if you step on them or catch dry grass on fire.
I also insisted that only adults lit the fireworks. The kids would all groan and complain that I was treating them like babies but better safe than sorry. Just because you buy a pack of fireworks in the grocery store doesn’t mean one wont’ be defective. Don’t let you child light them. Not only can they be defective but sometimes kids get so caught up in the excitement they forget to drop the lit firework.
Try to have another adult present. If there is an emergency you can take care of the injured child without having to worry about the other kids.
Last, never trust a toddler and a sparkler. Every one loves to grab shiny things, toddlers more than anyone.