- “He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.” (Revelation 13:15-17)
What we learn from this is:
1. Whoever doesn’t worship the image of the beast will be killed.
2. The mark will be placed on the right hand or forehead.
3. The mark will be mandatory to buy or sell.
4. The number of the beast is 666.
Some believe because of today’s technology, the mark of the beast may be a tiny chip of some sort rather than perhaps a tattoo as once thought. A chip has been theorized to be part of the evolution of a cashless society and identification. If you think about it, doesn’t it make sense? Similar to the American Veterinary Identification Device (AVID) chip, this chip could also hold a unique personal number like, for example a social security number. It’s all speculation for me to suggest what information could or would be provided in such a small device, but the technology for having bank account information contained much like a debit card alone is already here. In recent days, there have been many technological advances in tiny chips that can be used in implantation such as the radio frequency identification chips, better known as RFID chips. Hitachi’s Mu-Chip, VeriChip Corporation’s* VeriChip and VeriPay, are just some of the companies producing these and are believed by many to potentially play a part in the mark of the beast foretold in the Bible.
Regardless of what the “mark” is, the Bible is crystal clear that we are not to get it! There is no “Christian” who is even immune to the eternal death choosing the mark will bring.
- “Then a third angel follows them saying with a loud voice, ‘If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.’” (Revelation 14:9-11)
For those who endure during these days, this is what the Bible has to say:
- “…Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.” (Revelation 20:4-6)
It’s difficult to tell what Bible prophesy will unfold in our lifetime. We have been forewarned regarding the consequences of receiving the mark and are encouraged to endure to the end (Matthew 24:13).
Some may be wondering if we’ll be able to positively identify what the mark of the beast is when it comes. I believe we will because it appears from the book of Revelation that the Anti-Christ will have been revealed and in leadership. It’s worth conducting a Bible study on the prophetic end times and seek a close relationship with Christ praying He will guide us in wisdom and in truth. He will!
Please visit these related blogs:
*VeriChip Corporation is subsidiary of Applied Digital Solutions.
Scripture references are quoted by the NKJV.