The book of Ephesians goes a little into spiritual warfare. If you don’t believe in a spirit realm, I ask you to really examine why. There is too much evil in our world today, and yet so many miraculous things happening that it’s impossible for me to believe differently than the Bible states. God gives us very clear instruction through out the Word not to have any dealings with various aspects of the “dark side”. He is not out to prevent us from having fun, but rather wants us to protect our souls.
It’s so important for us to remain innocent to what is evil so we aren’t desensitized and lured in to Satan’s trap. Sadly, I see too many who call themselves Christians seeking their daily horoscopes and relying on good luck charms more than coming to God. What better way too lure Christians in than by making these things seem fun and innocent in appearance?
- Deuteronomy 18:9-13, “When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God.”
In regard to mediums and spiritists specifically, here are some additional scriptures:
- Leviticus 19:31, “Give not regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them; I am the LORD.”
- Leviticus 20:6, “And the person who turns to mediums and familiar spirits, to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people.”
- Zechariah 10:2, “For the idols speak delusion; the diviners envision lies, and tell false dreams; they comfort in vain. Therefore the people wend their way like sheep; they are in trouble because there is no shepherd.”
I understand there are those out there who’ve had spiritual experiences with mediums and believe they are real. I personally believe the reason some of these people know so much about others is because they are fed by demonic influence. Paul recognized in Acts 16:16-19 that a girl who was a fortune-teller was in fact demon possessed.
Regarding astrology, here is what the Bible has to say:
- Isaiah 47:13-14, “You are wearied in the multitude of your counsels; let now the astrologers, the stargazers, and the monthly prognosticators stand up and save you from what shall come upon you. Behold they shall be as stubble, the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame; it shall not be a coal to be warmed by, nor a fire to sit before!”
Be careful that you don’t become deceived by false teachings and demonic influence. I pray that you will seek God and store scripture in your heart that you might better discern truth from lies. The Bible tells us in 2 Corinthians 11:14-15 that Satan himself can transform himself as an angel of light. Because of this, if we are not sober minded, we may fall victim to his tactics. It also shares that because of his deception, his followers too may come as light as well.
Scripture references are quoted from the NKJV.