1. Drink plenty of water: I know we all have heard this piece of advice many times. However, it is still one of the best tips you will get. Just make sure to replace your sugary sodas and juices with water. If you do not like the taste of plain water or you bore easily then add some citrus to jazz it up.
2. Ask yourself if you are really hungry: Are you hungry? Are you? Are you?? Perhaps you are just bored or even thirsty. If you find yourself hungry during an odd time then drink a large glass of water and see if it passes. Often thirst presents as hunger.
3. Stop eating when your hunger passes: Eating to the point of feeling stuffed is not resolving hunger. That is like using a nail gun to staple a few pieces of paper. You are done eating when you are no longer hungry. What? You were not hungry when you started to eat? Then you should not eat. Do not wait until you are starving. Just eat a regular intervals and allow your body to determine your eating pattern.
4. Late night snacking can be dangerous: We all know that eating a bag of chips half exhausted watching who gets kicked of American Idol this week is a bad idea. If you are hungry after dinner then you can allow yourself a snack. Instead of eating mindlessly chose wisely. For instance you can chose a cup of yogurt, fruit, small salad, or diet snacks like those 100 calorie packs. Even low fat frozen yogurt is a good snack as long as you don’t over do it.
5. Eat protein at every meal: I would love to sit down a big bowl of pasta. I don’t need meat to enjoy a meal. However, the protein on your plate did not have to come from parents. If you are like me then try some nuts, tofu, cheese, or beans. And if your protein had parents just make sure it is a lean cut. Protein is more filling and helps sustain muscle mass which in turn burns calories.