Telling your friends and family you are expecting is an exciting time. Especially for first time parents, finding a creative way to break the news and surprise loved ones is half the fun! I used a couple different ways to tell my family. With my husband, I didn’t get creative because I was just too excited to wait. I ran straight from the bathroom, stick in hand, to the bedroom where my husband was fast asleep. It was four in the morning, so I’m not sure he really understood what was going on. Likewise, I told my mom by emailing her a picture of the test and then calling her. With the rest of my friends and family, however, I did have the chance to come up with something a little more special. I used my ultrasound.
There are several different things you can do with an ultrasound to make your special announcement. Anything you can do with a photo, you can do with your ultrasound. I scanned my six week ultrasound into Photoshop and drew a heart around my baby, adding the details on the side. Then I printed it as a post card and sent it to my family. Here are some other ideas:
- Put your image on a mug, adding the text “My Grandchild’s First Photo” or “My Baby’s First Photo” to give to your parents or husband.
- Use the ultrasound on the front of a greeting card and give it to your family on a holiday.
- Frame the ultrasound and give it to your loved one as a gift for a special event or “just because.”
- Create a custom calendar, including different photos of your family for each month. For your due date month, use the ultrasound picture. Mark your due date in each calendar as well. Give the calendar out to family members for Christmas or another special occasion.
- Create a scrapbook of your favorite memories with your family. On the last page, include the ultrasound. Show the scrapbook to friends and family, but don’t tell them what is on the last page. Wait for their surprised reaction!