Chicken Tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. It is always a hit in my home. If I plan ahead I will make chicken tacos one night and use the leftovers for the soup the next day. You can place both of these delicious and low fat soups in the crock pot. It is getting cold outside for most of us and soup is an excellent way to warm up!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken meat
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips and toasted for garnish
In heavy pot, bring the broth to a boil.
Add garlic, tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapeno, and oregano to the stocks.
Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Broil the sliced onions until soft and a little brown. Add broiled onions, chicken, lime juice to soup, and simmer till chicken is heated.
Place toasted tortilla strips in each bowl and pour soup over strips.
Top your soup with:
- fat free sour cream
- low fat shredded cheese
- guacamole (don’t worry about the fat since avocados are the good fat)
- chopped scallions
My Favorite Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 8 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
In a large pot over medium heat, cook and stir chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well.
Then add the broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice, and salsa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls and pour soup over chips.
Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and a little fat free sour cream.