My kids look forward to Valentine’s day because we do a party every year. I love this simple craft idea. It is festive and easy enough for anyone to make. Once you cut out all the hearts and punch the hole on them, to make it easy to attach to the string, you may want to personalize them. Write family members and friends that you want to remember or write verses on love on each heart.
Valentine’s Day Garland
What You Need:
- Red, pink, and white construction paper
- Hole punch
- Yarn or string
What You Do:
- First, draw and cut out hearts from the construction paper. Kids can cut hearts in many shapes and sizes, or create one basic shape. To make one unified shape, cut one heart and use it as a stencil for the rest.
- Next, take a hole puncher and make a hole in each of the hearts. Be sure to do it far enough from the edge of the heart so that the paper does not tear when you hang it.
- Cut one string for each of your hearts (8-12 inches long). Fold each string in half and pull the center loop through your heart’s hole, then pull the ends through the loop and tighten them down.
- Now you’ll have two ends of yarn from each of the hearts. Separate the strings. Pull one end of yarn from two separate hearts, and tie the two separate ends together to connect the hearts.
- Then, continue tying one heart to another, until all the hearts are attached in a long garland.
- Snip the loose ends from each of the knots you’ve tied on the string.
- Finally hang the garland. Tie the final ends of string to a curtain, banister, or tape it onto the walls. Now you are decorated and ready for Valentine’s Day!