Nothing says, “Happy Father’s Day!” quite like the smell of fried chicken… or any type of chicken that Dad didn’t have to cook himself.
To honor the man of the house on Sunday, consider combining some of his favorite foods in one dish. By incoporating a variety of Dad’s beloved ingredients you are sure to create a winning Father’s Day meal.
The following recipes are not only affordable, but they’re also simple enough for even young children to help out with. What’s more, because the ingredients are kid-friendly Dad won’t have to deal with a table full of whining offspring as he digs into dinner on his special day.
PRETZEL CHICKEN FINGERS
- 3 cups crushed pretzels
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 pounds chicken breast cut into strips
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spray foil with cooking spray.
- Place crushed pretzels in a shallow dish.
- Combine eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, and then coat with the pretzels.
- Place chicken on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, honey and mustard.
- Serve strips warm with the honey mustard sauce for dipping.
CITRUS POTATO CHIP CHICKEN
- Juice from 1 lime
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 4 cups crushed potato chips
- In a large bowl, combine the juice from the lemon, lime and orange, and then add salt, pepper, garlic and basil.
- Place the chicken pieces in a Ziploc bag and pour the citrus marinade over them.
- Close the bag making sure all the pieces of chicken are coated in the marinade.
- Refrigerate the chicken for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- When you are ready to cook chicken, remove the pieces from bag and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the melted butter, and then coat them with the crushed potato chips.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove and serve warm.