Think zinc is the answer to all your seasonal cold problems? Think again!
Zinc supplements can help boost your immunity, but there is a down side. A recent joint study between American and European researchers found that there may be a link between zinc and age-related macular degeneration. Eye deposits in people over sixty with age-related macular degeneration contain high levels of zinc! So overdosing yourself with zinc in order to ward off a cold may cause vision problems later in life.
More research into the exact source of the zinc in eye deposits is underway. Zinc supplements may or may not be the only culprit. In the meantime, experts suggest being careful with your zinc.
- If you’ll be taking zinc supplements, be sure you stick to the recommended dosage. Don’t overdose yourself with zinc!
- If you can, get your zinc from foods instead. Pick zinc-rich foods like oysters, beef, pork, and pinto beans.
There are other things you can do to boost your immunity and fight off a cold.
- Get plenty of rest! Your body needs rest in order to run at peak efficiency.
- Eat a varied diet. Your body needs lots of different vitamins and minerals in order to run properly. Take a multivitamin if you aren’t getting enough vitamins and minerals in your regular diet. Vitamins from food are best, but a multivitamin supplement can help.
- Try qigong. Recent studies have shown that practicing qigong can boost your immune system!
- Try an Echinacea and goldenseal supplement to boost your immune system.
- Get a flu shot.
- Keep your hands clean. You can’t get an infection if the germs aren’t there!
- Chicken soup isn’t just an old wives tale! The saltiness and warmth of the broth can soothe sore throats. The veggies give you an extra dose of vitamins and minerals.