The holiday times were by far the most difficult for me to bear while waiting for our boys. I know there are others that can relate to the longing feeling around this time as well. To be honest, I’m not sure how I would have sustained sanity without my faith in Christ and His ability during the dark period in my life of waiting to be a mother. Perhaps the most inspirational book of the Bible for me during this time was the Book of Psalms. David committed sins beyond what most of us have, was loved by God and said to be a man after God’s own heart. During my own time of waiting, as the enemy would fill me with doubt, in reading how the Lord heard the cries of David during his own trials and waits, I knew God was near and heard my cries to Him too.
Christians who are waiting for a child or any other blessing in their life, really need to know that their prayers can be heard. When we’re in the midst of a storm in our life, sometimes it’s hard to see beyond the situation at hand to understand the work God is doing behind the scenes. The following is a list of scriptures I hope will encourage you from the first Book of Psalms. As well, please read my series on Trials and Faith along with Hannah’s Cry, My Cry.
- Psalm 1:3-4, “But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the LORD with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill.”
- Psalm 18:6, “In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, and my cry came before Him, even to His ears.”
- Psalm 21:2, “You have given him his heart’s desire, and have not withheld the request of his lips.”
- Psalm 23:1, “The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.”
- Psalm 30:11, “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness.”
- Psalm 34:17-18, “The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.”
- Psalm 37:4-5, “Delight your way to the LORD, and HE shall give you the desires of you heart. Commit you way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.”
I know the wait for a child to come home can be a lonely one that few people can understand. Please remember that God does. I encourage you to be praying for your child(ren) whether born or not, that God would prepare your family for unification. Watch and see how great God is. We prayed for both of our boys prior to their entrance into our family and had overall positive transitions. Both boys came from Christian homes that prayed over them praying for their future families. Our boys have a wonderful testimony of God’s goodness in their lives. Don’t lose heart, press on, keep praying, and know that God who is big enough to create the universe can bring your family together.
Scripture reference is quoted from the NKJV.