Now-a-days every bath store and boutique is selling bath salts. They’ve become a very popular item. Which of course also means that they’ve become a little pricey too. It’s very easy and cost effective to make your own.
They make great handmade gifts and of course, what better gift to yourself than some much needed quiet-time in the tub.
First you’ll need a few items:
- Food coloring, to make the salts any color or colors you choose
- 2 cups of Epsom salts
- Large metal or glass mixing bowl
- 1 cup Sea salt, coarse salt or rock salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Glycerin
- Jar with a cork stopper or a screw-on lid, cleaned and dried
- Fragrance/Essential oils like peppermint, vanilla, lavender or coconut to name a few.
Alright, let’s get started.
1) Put all your salts in the mixing bowl and mix very well, but gently.
2) Add a couple drops of food coloring, and mix well. TIP: You might want to start out with only two or three drops, you can always add more to get your desired color.
3) Add glycerin and essential oil, about four to five drops and mix well.
4) Carefully spoon salts into the jar and seal it with the cork or the lid.
5) Make a gift tag labeled with the scent you used and write the suggestion of using it in bath water… about 1/3 to 1/2 cup in the water.
6) This should make about 3 cups of bath salts.
Tip: Always keep an eye out for unusual looking jars with interesting shapes. It can make your creation all the more beautiful!
That’s all there is to it. You’ve created something unique and at the same time you’ve saved tons of money by making your own. What could be better?!