As we approach the 2008 Summer Olympics, now is a good time to talk about some Olympians who have been homeschooled. Being able to make education work around training through homeschooling is something many of these athletes have in common. Before homeschooling, Thomas Finchum was Valedictorian of his middle school class, and is now home-schooled at Emmaus Lutheran Middle School to accommodate his diving training schedule of five-and-a-half hours a day, six days a week.
Thomas Finchum was born to Thomas and Audrey Finchum on December 1. 1989. His hometown is Indianapolis, Indiana. He is from a family of athletes. His father is a high school athletic director and coach. His brother was a catcher on the Concordia University baseball team. His sister Lindsay is also a level 10 gymnast and Indiana state Champion.
Thomas began diving after is grandmother, who was a former city parks diver, saw him jumping off of houseboats and suggested the family sign him up for swimming lessons. He has numerous awards and accomplishments in the area of diving.
- Bronze medal: 2007 FINA World Diving Championships men’s synchronized platform
- Silver medal: 2007 Kaiser Permanente National Championships men’s synchronized 3m
- Bronze Medal: 2007 Speedo USA Diving Spring National Championships men’s synchronized 3m
- Champion: 2007 AT&T USA Diving Grand Prix men’s platform champion, men’s synchronized platform
- Champion: 2007 Pan American Games men’s synchronized platform
- Bronze medal: 2006 Kaiser Permanente National Championships men’s synchronized 3m
- Silver medal: 2006 Kaiser Permanente National Championships men’s platform
- Two national titles on both 10-meter and synchronized 10-meter with partner David Boudia
- Gold medal: 10-meter at the AT&T USA Diving Grand Prix
- Scored a career-high for a silver at the Canada Cup
- Eight medals in 10-meter synchro with partner David Boudia, including golds at the Pan American Games and AT&T USA Diving Grand Prix and a bronze at the FINA World Championships
- USA Diving’s 2007 Athlete of the Year
In his spare time, Olympic hopeful Thomas Finchum enjoys music and computers.
References: www.usolympicteam.com, www.usadiving.org