Punch Art Gift Cards
Here’s a winning craft project for the busy holiday season. Tiny paper punch gift cards made by your kids are perfect for all your gifts, especially on teacher presents or on any gift you want to add a little personal touch from your kids. It’s makes very little mess, you already have the supplies and it will actually help you in your holiday preparations.
Here’s what you need:
Small pieces of colored paper or cardstock
Paper punches (a regular hole punch will do – if you have some shapes like hearts, stars, and large and small circles, that’s great, too)
Glue (Elmer’s is fine, or any other non-toxic craft glue)
Piece of foil or waxed paper
Ribbon or string
optional: glitter glue, ribbon, pens
1. Cut a rectangle out of paper or cardstock.The cards in the photo are 2 1/2” x 3 1/2” unfolded. Fold the paper in half to create a card.
2. Punch out the shapes you will need. If you have just a regular hole punch, a green wreath, a Christmas tree, a string of lights or ornaments or a snowman are good bets.
3. Squeeze a little glue onto the foil or waxed paper.
4. Use a toothpick to apply a little bit of glue to the back of each punched shape and stick on the card.
5. If you want, you can embellish your design with glitter glue and pens.
6. Punch a hole in the corner of the card. (This is a job for a grown-up…in my experience kids punch the hole too close to the edge of the card or even off the edge). Thread a ribbon or string through and tie it on a package!
The wreath is made from large and small circle punches, but you can use just regular circle punches as well–group the green punches together to make a fluffy wreath, then add red berries. The ribbon is threaded through two small punches in the card, then tied in a bow.
The tree is made from upside-down hearts. The trunk is a bit of cut brown paper and the star is also a paper punch. A star sticker would work, or a glitter-glue star. The ornaments are regular circle punches with a bit of glitter glue in the middle.
The penguin is made from large and small circle punches. The wings are one circle punch cut in half. The beak and feet are corners cut off a piece of paper. Silver glitter glue makes an icy background sparkle.