It is important to remember to care for yourself as the holidays approach. It is a wonderful time of year to remember the counsel of the Word of Wisdom. With the onset of winter, it is also the onset of comfort foods, sweets, and no time to exercise. It is little wonder that many people end up over-indulging, and feeling sick and drained. The way you feel physically will affect your emotional and spiritual well being as well. Here are five things you can do to keep yourself on track for a good Christmas season.
1) Remember to take time everyday to nourish yourself spiritually. It is important to continue having personal scripture study and prayer. This will help you to focus on the tasks at hand and remind you of the true meaning of Christmas. If you set aside time to study and meditate each day you will be more able to complete the tasks that you need to.
2) Continue your exercise program as much as you can. You may need to adjust it a little bit according to the weather. If you are not exercising, then you should find time to exercise a few times a week for at least half an hour. This could be a walk around the block, or you could join all the mall walkers in your area. If it is warm one day take advantage of the nice weather and take the whole family outside.
3) The Word of Wisdom counsels us to eat all things in moderation, and stresses the importance of fruits and vegetables. It is especially important to watch the food you eat at this time of year. You can purchase fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the year now. Be sure that you are not replacing the healthy foods you normally eat with sweets. There is nothing wrong with indulging a bit in the holiday sweets, but try to limit the quantity.
4) It can be difficult to make sure that you are getting adequate rest as you strive to meet the commitments that you have over the holiday season. It is important to make sure that you make time to sleep. If you go without sleep you will weaken your immune system.
5) For some the holidays prove to be an extra temptation when it comes to the consumption of alcohol. Remember the counsel that we should abstain from these things. This will help you to stay clear of addictions and other problems that could arise. Others will come to respect you for holding to your beliefs.