My pregnancy went by in a flash. I was so busy working 14-hour days that I didn’t have time to fret over the little things. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to relish the special moments either. If I had the time I would have made more of an effort to document my journey to parenthood. I wish I would have jotted down some of the ups and downs related to my pregnancy, so I could share them with my daughter.
For many, the main focus of a pre-baby scrapbook is the pictures that chronicle your body’s changes from conception to labor and delivery. While pictures speak volumes, I still strongly believe in scrapbook journaling. You have the option to write as little or as much as you want, but I think it is important to record your thoughts, feelings and memories in the moment, in order to truly capture the experience of brining new life into this world.
If you don’t feel like jotting down random thoughts in your scrapbook, then journal next to coordinating memorabilia, such as:
1. Ultrasound results: How did you feel when you found out the sex of your baby? What were you thinking during the first ultrasound test?
2. Pregnancy announcement: How did you announce the pregnancy? Did you make calls or send out cards?
3. Congratulations cards: How did you feel when you received congratulatory cards from loved ones? Had you been trying to conceive for a while?
4. Receipts for baby items: How did you feel purchasing your first pair of baby booties? How did you select the theme for your baby’s nursery? What was the first baby item you bought?
5. Appointment cards from your prenatal visits: Did you have any complications with your pregnancy? Did you have bad morning sickness? Were you working during the pregnancy? Was your doctor helpful in addressing your concerns?
Once you’ve decided what journaling you want to share in your pregnancy scrapbook, then concentrate on how you plan to format your written thoughts and feelings. You could handwrite them with an acid-free pen or you could type it up on your computer and print it out using a variety of pretty fonts and ink colors.