Second Grade Reading List
A great activity for second graders is to make dictionary books. You can use any of the book making techniques described by Dinah Zike or simply take some white paper, fold in the middle and staple with a piece of cardstock or construction paper serving as the cover. You can also use a 3-hole punch down the fold of the book and lace it with strong yarn. There are a variety of ways to create your own books. Making dictionary books is a great way to enhance spelling skills. By using the words found in various reading books, you can make a number of different dictionaries.
Here are instructions on How to Fold a One Sheet Book. This is a great way to make lots of mini books that can be used for various homeschool subjects!
Scrapbooking to Learn has lots of instructions for making your own books as well.
Here is the free downloadable book filled with 100 tips to help you encourage your second grader to read.
OK, now let’s get on with our Second Grade Reading List
1. Amelia Bedelia, Peggy Parish
2. Stone Soup, Marcia Brown
3. The Story about Ping, Marjorie Flack
4. Leo the Late Bloomer, Robert Krause
5. There’s a Nightmare in my closet, Mercer Meyer
6. Little Bear, Elsie Minarik
7. I know an Old Lady, Charlotte Zolotow
8. Cam Jensen Series, David Adler
9. Arthur Series, Marc Brown
10. Amber Brown Series, Paula Danzinger
11. Nate the Great, David Adler
12. Chicken Soup with Rice, Maurice Sendak
13. Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective, Donald J. Sobol
14. Boxcar Children
15. Ramona Quimby Age Eight, Beverly Cleary
16. Zelda and Ivy, Laura McGee Kvasnosky
17. Is Your Mama a Llama, Deborah Guarino
18. Sunday, Judith Viorst
19. Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears, Verna Aardema
20. Miss Rumphius, Barbara Cooney
21. Georgia Lee, Sharon Denslow
22. It Looked Like Spilt Milk, Charles Shaw
23. The House that Jack Built, Rodney Peppe
24. How Many Snails, Paul Giganti Jr.
25. The Farmyard Cat, Christine Anello