By Nicole Allard
Recently, my nephew, Justin B. Allard, who was mentally challenged accidentally killed himself by playing what is known by teens as the choking game. He died after passing out with a belt around his neck at the ripe age of seventeen.
I am not writing this article to scare you, only to raise your awareness of this potentially deadly game, and recognize signs that your teen could be trying it.
There have been several deaths among teens all across the US that have been blamed on this game that is a growing activity among teens. A list of them can be found here: http://www.teenchokinggame.com/cases.html
I didn’t even know about this game, nor did anyone in my family know about this until the untimely death of Justin. I don’t want other parents of teens to be just as unknowing as we were.
What is the “Choking Game”?
Here is a description from “Stop the Choking Game”, a website dedicated to just that:
The Choking Game achieves a brief high or euphoric state by stopping
the flow of oxygen containing blood to the brain. Sometimes children
choke each other until the person being choked passes out. The pressure
on the arteries is then released and blood flow to the brain resumes
causing a “rush” as consciousness returns. Playing this game in any form
causes the permanent and cumulative death of large numbers of brain
cells. The variation in blood pressure may also cause strokes, seizures,
and retinal damage..
The danger becomes even greater when a ligature is used and the activity
is performed by a lone child. If the child loses consciousness and there
is no one there to IMMEDIATELY release the pressure, he is unable to
help himself. The child will suffer brain damage and death certainly
after three minutes. Some of those who have died were alone for as little
as 15 minutes before someone found them and it was already too late.
This activity can claim a child’s life the first time it is played.
More Information in Part 2: Why Kids do this, Tips to recognizing if your teen is doing this, etc.)