When you get married, wouldn’t it be nice if someone gave you a guide book that contained all the instructions you needed to transition from being single to married? The following is some top tips gathered from husbands about what you need to know when you get married.
- Your wife is your partner. You have to treat her as such. You may want to protect her, but you should never take choices away.
- Lying is never a good thing. Even little lies can come back to haunt you. Be honest about how you are feeling – your wife will appreciate that.
- Understand that your wife is going through changes too. You may not be used to checking in with someone about your whereabouts, but she will appreciate it and so will you when she does the same.
- Financial control issues are the root of a lot of marital problems. Make it a rule that you should both be involved in large financial decisions. Discuss ways to keep each other in the loop.
- Socially, you both had relationships prior to the marriage. Friendships are important, but if your wife is uncomfortable with any of those prior relationships, discuss ways you can make her more comfortable.
- Merging lives has its own challenges, avoid excluding each other even if you always used to do something a certain way before. Give your wife an option to join you now.
- You want her to respect your needs, so you need to respect hers. If she needs to make lists to detail how things will be handled, support that. You will both benefit from mutual respect.
- Communication is the key in the first months of marriage. It’s easy to get caught back up into the rhythms of life and to forget that there is someone else to consider, talk before and after the wedding about your expectations, dreams and goals.
- Saying I love you, never gets old. Showing your affection with little gestures and thoughtful gifts of appreciation are excellent ways to maintain the romance.
As a husband, what other tips can you offer to other newly married men?