Wee, welcome back to the top ten lists and in honor of our Friday fitness funnies, I wanted to prepare for both the Summer Solstice on the 21st and Father’s Day on the 18th and the fact that we’re closing in on 100 degree mark on the thermometer. Gee it gets hot in Texas in the summer time – go figure! Anyway, without further ado – welcome to Friday, the 9th of June and my top 10 reasons why I hate exercising in the summer!
10. It’s hot. That is a really succinct way of summing it up. Outdoor activities in the afternoon are darned uncomfortable and I hate getting into a hot suffocating car. Worse yet, walking outside from the air conditioning, the hot air can be heavy and feel like a curtain that shrouds your face. YUCK.
9. Sports are popular in summertime, but I have never been a huge fan of organized sports. It’s hard to get into the sports motto. I much prefer to go horseback riding.
8. Horseback riding in the summertime comes with its own unique set of challenges. Particularly the flies – my daughter is taking horseback riding lessons, but she really hates flies. It takes a special amount of thought to keep in mind that flies come with the package whether you like them or not.
7. Sweat. You sweat in buckets in the summertime and I’ve never been fond of smelling like feet.
6. Sunburn – summer time and sunburns seem to go hand in hand, so not only are you sweating, you are sweating off your sun screen so you are hot, sweaty and very greasy. Not a pleasant combination.
5. Mosquitoes – Mosquitoes love me, even when I take my garlic pills, I walk outside and they swam towards me. I get bitten on an average of twice a week, at least sometimes more depending on what the time of day is and then you hear about West Nile virus and Malaria and the skin rotting diseases – it’s enough to turn a person off of the outdoors.
4. Outdoor cycling is to summertime what a latte is to Seattle. In this area, there are bikers everywhere and weekend driving can be pretty brutal when you are trying to get from point A to point B and navigate around a 1,000 bikers.
3. Swimming Pool politics come into play when you have access to a community swimming pool. Around here, our housing area has a great pool, but there is a security guard and a security pool pass and a security sheet – you need a lot of personal security to even get in – on the one hand I appreciate the effort, on the other the bureaucracy around the pool access can make going to the pool a real chore.
2. Weight training – I like lifting weights and I like working out, but if you keep your gym equipment in the garage – you get to bake yourself at the same time you are lifting your weights which means you get the sweat and the hot and the weights – woo hoo.
1. Finally, the number one reason I hate exercising in the summer – if I do not already have swimming pool body by June 1, I feel like my goals won’t be achieved until September 1, which is sort of defeating to the purpose of looking great over the summer. Still – that’s mostly my inner bikini bimbo whining and remembering that at the age of 17 I didn’t have these concerns – of course at the age of 17, I didn’t have a lot in the way of any kind of major concerns other than what was I going to do next Saturday – go figure!