Ok, I admit it. I’m not exactly a neat freak. I wear multiple hats, including mother to young children, and the last thing I want to do each day is clean my house. The basics get done (most of the time) and the rest just sort of sits there until there is a compelling enough reason for me to care about taking care of them.
One of those things that I never get around to is my window sills. This is partly because I have designated my 6 and 8 year old boys as the window washers in the family. They still think it’s cool. They’re the ones messing up the windows in the first place so it’s poetic justice as far as I’m concerned.
Of course, there is also a down side. If they can’t reach it, it never gets cleaned. Plus, they don’t do window sills.
The combination of these two complications stared me in the face the other day. Ok, so I was staring it in the face. Either way, it was ugly. I caught a look at the window sill in my bathroom. Need I say more?
If you have allergies or asthma I don’t need to tell you how much damage dust and mold can do to your breathing. If you’re a clean freak, I don’t need to tell you how sneaky dust and mold can be. Put the two together and you have a recipe for wheezing, coughing, watery eyes- you know, and dread, the drill.
About 15 million Americans are allergic to mold. In fact, if mold is allowed to move in and take over it can cause you to have a reaction, even if you haven’t been “allergic” before. The most common reactions are fever and lung infections.
So get out your cleaning supplies and attack those window sills. Pay special attention to the windows in rooms where there is a lot of moisture: bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen, your child’s room if you’ve been using a humidifier in there this winter.
Tell that mold it is unwelcome. Your lungs and health will thank you for it.