At just over 200 calories a slice this is the perfect way to celebrate valentine’s day without feeling guilty about having dessert. I was given this recipe a few years ago by a friend but up until now, I completely forgot about it. Can you believe that? I was going through my recipes and when I came across this one I got so excited that I just had to share! A low fat cake that contains no fake sugars and tastes great! Enjoy!
Diet Friendly Valentine’s Day Marble Cake
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Dissolve cocoa in water; let stand until cool.
- In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup sugar, milk, oil and extracts until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Remove 2 cups batter; stir in reserved cocoa mixture.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray. Alternately spoon the plain and chocolate batters into pan. Cut through batter
- with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For topping, in a microwave, melt whipped topping and chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Place cake on a serving plate. Drizzle with topping. Arrange raspberries in center of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Photo Credit: JEAN CAZALES