Jewish Apple Cake
Ring in the fall in style!
4 medium apples, peeled, cored
1 tbs lemon juice
6 tbs vanilla sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
2 3/4 cups sifted flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups vanilla sugar
1 cup oil
1/3 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
2. Slice apples thinly, mix with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; set aside.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Beat eggs until foamy.
4. Gradually beat in sugar, until mixture is thick and fluffy. Slowly pour oil into egg mixture, while beating continuously, mix until well blended.
5. Add dry ingredients 1/3 at a time, alternating with orange juice, beating with a wooden spoon until smooth.
6. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan.
7. Drain the liquid from the apples and arrange half of the slices on top of the batter.
8. Add another 1/3 of the batter, then the rest of apples, and finally top with the remaining 1/3 of the batter.
9. Bake for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. Cool thoroughly before removing from the pan.
10. Dust with powdered sugar.
Prep: 35 minutes
Cook: 90 minutes