A fun activity to share with your children is making ice cream. You do not need to buy an ice cream maker to have fun with this activity. I just purchased an ice cream maker and the family loves it. Just be warned it does take time to make ice cream, unless you do it by hand as the recipe is for below.
Ice Cream without an Ice Cream Maker
- 2 cups cold heavy/whipping cream
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Your choice of mix-ins (berries, chocolate, cookies, etc.)
- Whip cream with mixer or whisk until stiff peaks form. Make sure you use cream straight from the fridge as it will whip faster.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk into large bowl and stir in your desired flavorings and mix-ins. You can add a little vanilla to your cream as it whipped and a tablespoon to the milk. I would have also added some vanilla bean if we had any. I just added chopped strawberries for the first.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the milk mixture until all combined. You want to keep that creamy light texture, so don’t take out any frustration on it.
- Pour into 2 quart freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy! The ice cream will be soft so eat right away!