For some families hanging out at a bar on St. Patrick’s Day knocking back green beer and Irish whiskey cocktails is not the ideal way to celebrate the holiday. If you are looking for family-friendly ways to capture the spirit of the Emerald Isle, forget about heading to the local pub, and instead, leap like a leprechaun into the comfort of your kitchen. That’s where you and your clan can have fun whipping up these easy and affordable St. Patrick’s Day-inspired dishes:
Super Simple Corned Beef
- 1 boneless corned beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds) with seasoning packet
- 4 ribs celery, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer (optional)
- Place celery and onions in the bottom of a crock pot.
- Add in the corned beef brisket.
- Sprinkle contents of seasoning packet over brisket.
- Add water, chicken stock, and beer.
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours, or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Serve with boiled potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
- Use leftover corned beef for sandwiches.
Salmon and Avocado Omelet
- 1 large avocado, diced into small cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat pan over medium heat.
- Add in the butter, salmon and onion and let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs; add in a dash of salt and pepper.
- Slowly add eggs to the pan stirring until soft curd forms.
- Add in the diced avocado, tomato, lime and scallions. Let sit for less than a minute, stir gently, and then turn down heat.
- Cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes until set.
- Flip once before serving.
- Garnish with slices of fresh avocado and cilantro.
Photo Credit: amazingribs.com