A friend sent me a link to a list of weird beauty tips from Cosmopolitan magazine. Some of these I’ve heard before, some of them I haven’t. Here are a few of my favorites!
- A dab of toothpaste can cure a zit. This one I’ve heard before (but never tried). The beauty experts at Cosmo suggest leaving the toothpaste on for just 15 minutes, then washing it off. The person who told me about it said to leave the toothpaste on overnight, but I can see how that’d either smear off in your sleep or possibly clog more pores and lead to more pimples.
- Add a little shine to your skin by mixing a drop of baby oil into your lotion. You’ll get shine without greasiness or stickiness.
- Apply a thick layer of diaper rash cream to help heal dry, cracked elbows and feet. My feet are usually very callused (because I love to walk around barefoot) so I’m going to be trying this one soon!
- Do you have sensitive skin? Don’t irritate your face by drying with a towel. Pat your face dry with a few sheets of toilet paper instead — it’ll be far gentler.
A few at-home spa treatments that sound crazy… but seem to really work:
- Use a fresh avocado for an all-over hydrating treatment. Remove the pit and skin from a ripe avocado, then mash the green stuff. (Resist the urge to grab chips and eat fresh guacamole!) Rub the avocado mash all over your body, then let it sit for twenty minutes before rinsing off. Your skin will be super-soft and super-moisturized afterwards!
- Apply a cool, damp green tea bag to any sensitive or irritated patches of skin. The antioxidants in tea can help reduce inflammation.
- Make an egg-white mask — separate yolk and egg whites and apply the whites to your face for five minutes. The proteins in egg whites can help soothe and brighten dull, tired skin. Rinse well after those five minutes!